Saturday 14 May 2011

The actors and their characters

Hi, my name is Andy Swift I’m playing the part of George. This year has been busy since ‘School for Clowns’ back in January. The remainder of the year was filled with many short films and counting with two in post production. All on youtube, fulfilling my ambition to reach the silver screen. I hope you enjoy ‘We’ve Got Guests!’. Thank you for your support.

George
Someone once told me life was full of exciting, new and fresh opportunities. When I was young, in my teens, life was great. I felt free, so free I could tackle anything head on with confidence and always win. I always loved a challenge, that one chance to prove yourself to everyone no matter how difficult, I would always win, never be defeated. Why, I don’t know, I opted for the original, bland lifestyle falling into a job, getting married and having children. That’s precisely what I did, I got married and wanted to start a family. I had a secure job as a university lecturer as a history professor that I have the chance to run the department soon. My wife was........... lovely, just lovely. We met when I was twenty, she was twenty six, always had a thing for older women. She had this air of mystery surrounding her, when we went out, we just laughed and laughed and laughed. She certainly knew how to have a good time, and on one of those nights out, I proposed to her. When she said yes, I felt life was full, things could only progress. We share a unique sense of humor, we seem to bounce off on another, we both know each other’s weaknesses and use them as tools for humor. Christ it certainly works! She is the one to springs things up on me out of the blue, she understands how to use the element of shock.
Just as things were going well, we were to add to our family. Martha got pregnant, I was so happy I could not describe it. We sorted out the nursery, we prepared ourselves with clothes and baby accessories. Unfortunately, at 6 months, Martha had a fall, at that precise moment I knew our child was lost. Even today I still fill up with tears, tears showing how I never got to hold or see even, my child, something I had longed for, for my life. For some reason, we continued as if we had our child, we called him Joe, he’ll be twenty one soon. Martha has plans for that I can assure you. But that day of loss changed me, I think I agreed to continue our child’s life to please Martha. We have never told anyone about it, god forbid, but it pleases Martha, although she does not show much emotion, unless being sarcastic!









I’m Kirsty Clarke and I play the part of Martha. I began Street Dance and Contemporary dance before going on to do a B-TEC National Diploma in Performing Arts at college where I took part in many variety shows. I want to act in film and TV when I graduate, after taking an interest in acting.

Martha 
Kirsty plays the part of Martha in the play, who is the wife of George. Martha is in her late forties and likes to live life to the full, by going to parties and having friends round for dinner. She likes having a drink which keeps her on top form, as she has incredible confidence about herself and her appearance. Martha likes to think that she looks good and still has her youth about her, which she plays upon a lot, especially when she has noticed some young eye candy. She has a huge personality, always wanting to talk, very loud and flirtatious. She has this love/hate relationship with her husband, George, getting him to do small chores for her, which she cannot be bothered to do herself but deep down she loves him, as he keeps her sane and she knows he loves her back. Martha can come across as quite mean, as she orders her husband around and has the occasional snap at him. She was very good looking in her youth and was a bit of a wild child which has continued into her adult life, making her almost child like.










I’m James Manford playing the part of Nick. In the past I’ve have acted in ‘The Tempest’, ‘Guys and Dolls’, ‘Jack The Ripper’ and have been an extra rider in the most recent ‘Robin Hood’ and War horse films and doubled in BBC’s ‘Merlin’


Nick 
Nick is a biology professor at a university, and has recently moved to the same university that George is a professor at. Being young, Nick is fairly new and naive to the job, but is also eager to impress and hopes in the future that he will become the head of his department. 
He is Married to Honey who, unlike Nick, wants children soon, whereas Nick would rather wait a while longer before discussing having children. This has brought on arguments in the past between Nick and Honey. Nick has quite good patience but it can wear thin when interrupted halfway through a sentence too often and this can happen frequently as people recognise his naivety and that he is a nice guy and wouldn’t fight back. Nick doesn’t drink very often, and is sensible enough not to mix his drinks. He isn’t much of a bragger, but does like a little flirtatiousness from others and also to flirt himself, and when noticing an attraction to him from others it brings out a slightly cocky side of Nick.











Hello I’m Katie Beresford, I’m playing the part of Honey I attended Stagecoach for 10 years. Performed in shows such has ‘Mamma Mia’, ‘Chicago’, ‘Grease’ and ‘Cabaret’. After graduating University I would like to go into acting in film and television.


Honey
Honey's is a childish 26 years old and is Nicks bland wife. She is terribly afraid to have children because she is exceptionally afraid of the pain involved in childbirth and this why she may of aborted her previous child. The audience never learns much about who she is and her life, they only see clips of her personality throughout the play. 
Honey and Nick are childhood sweethearts and they are only recently married couple. She often talks for Nick and she is more dominant in their relationship. She often brags about Nicks successful career but at the same time Nick will often treat her as one by trying to protect her from certain language, from sexual references, and by constantly overseeing her actions. As the play goes on Honey becomes more open to the idea of having children but we are uncertain if this decision sticks. 
Honey comes across has a innocent little girl. We see this through her clothes and her matching headband (like children would wear) and her childlikeness is further emphasized by her habit of giggling, being obtuse to the reality of the situation around her.


1 comment:

  1. The parts written about the characters were written by the actors when I first gave them the scripts and I asked them to write a character biography on what they thought about their character and create moments in the characters past which may have influenced the way that they are now.

    We have moved on and developed more detailed past histories and changed elements about their characters than they originally wrote in these character biographies. We found these to be a good starting point to the rehearsal process in helping the actors feel closer to the characters. Now that we have worked on the play and character development more, I'm sure if asked them to write character biographies again they would be very different from these.

    Thank You for posting these Nuno, they show how much we have developed from the beginning of the process x x

    ReplyDelete