Saturday 21 May 2011

Nearly show time!

So it's been a tiring week as we are performing next week!
We have played around with how our character acts and talks some of which i felt comfortable with others I didn't, such as trying to always get Nick to look at me. I found that rather hard partly because of the sofa we were using and because I couldn't think of much things that Martha would actually do because it's not in her nature to do so.

I found straight flirting much easier to do and felt comfortable doing it because I could adapt it to Martha's way of doing things rather than pushing not only myself but her out of her boundaries.....even though it seems Martha has none.
I also had to use a chinese accent and speak to others as though they were deaf. I know that it is supposed to help with my projection but I don't feel projection is that much of a problem because Martha is a loud character. The only parts I need to remember to project but still keep the intention is when i flirt and speak childish because I do lose it sometimes.

Richard came in to see us on two occasions this week and had us change the end. The original ending left the piece on a cliffhanger which I didn't particularly like as well as the unsolved mystery about the son, but that hasn't been changed as of yet even though I have voiced my concern about that. I do not have the overall say though.
Abbie changed the ending overnight so that we could block and rehearse it the next day. There was also a funny add on, suggested by James which we put it to finish it off.
I think that this ending is better and that the audience will be able to relate to it better than the previous one.

Eden Trials came to watch a rehearsal to give feedback and vise versa. We need to concentrate on diction and clarity of our voices because sometimes words are lost because of the accents which are ok. They're not great but I suppose they'll do.
Personally though I feel my character has lost her fun and has become to angry because of the direction I have been given. I would like to have more freedom of choice with how I play Martha because I don't see her as this angry character. Martha is fun and just wants to live life. She is a happy person who likes to have a laugh and doesn't take life seriously.

My aims are to have fun, continue the party and to get Nick's attention. I have started to lose my voice because of all the shouting, which isn't good.
The pace has picked up loads though because of some feedback from Richard, so that now instead of waiting until the other has finished we're cutting each others lines and talking at the same time making it look more realistic.

Flyers went out this week too!!!!
they look awesome....the only concern I have is that it states that our play will make you "laugh your god damn head off ".....i don't think that is true because it isn't that funny. It has elements of comedy but I wouldn't say that it is a comedy unless we do a 'piss-take' of it.
Well three more days until show day!

No comments:

Post a Comment